During the 2013 legislative session Wyoming Statute 21-7-701 was created establishing the Wyoming Adjunct Professor Loan Repayment (WAPLR) program. The program is designed to financially assist public high school teachers in attaining necessary qualifications to become adjunct professors qualified to teach specific college level concurrent enrollment courses. To repay the loan the teacher agrees to teach the concurrent enrollment courses in a Wyoming school district for a two year period after becoming fully qualified.
- Be a Wyoming resident as defined in W.S.22-1-102.
- Be employed by a Wyoming school district as a teacher defined by W.S. 21-7-102.
- Be certified by and in good standing with the Professional Teaching Standards Board, as required by W.S. 21-7-303.
- Be nominated by the employing Wyoming school district.
During the 2013 legislative session Wyoming Statute 21-7-701 was created. It established the Wyoming Adjunct Professor Loan Repayment (WAPLR) Program. The program was initially funded for the second half of the 2013 biennium with $100,000 and eight applicants were funded.
The legislature reauthorized the program in 2014 with a $160,000 appropriation for the 2015/16 biennium. Applications were accepted in September 2014 and we awarded approximately $90,000 in loans. Because there were remaining funds, a second round of applications were accepted in September 2015 for the remaining $70,000. Any unused funds were reverted back to the general fund.
Funds were again appropriated for the 2017/18 biennium. As of October 2017, all funds were committed to loan applicants. If the program is funded for the 2019/20 biennium, applications will again be accepted in October 2018.
- Applicants should start by contacting their employing school district to determine if they can be nominated for this program.
- The applicant should also be in contact with the Wyoming community college that has agreed to issue credit for the concurrent courses that will be taught after the applicant becomes fully qualified.
- Once the applicant has been notified that they are approved for funding, they will need to contact Align® to ensure that all the proper paperwork has been completed to receive funds.
A recipient of a WAPLR loan may repay the loan without cash payment by teaching concurrent enrollment courses in a Wyoming school district for two years after becoming fully qualified. There are specific timelines for repayment to be met. For specifics on the tracking and updating of loan payback, contact Align®.
Align® Corporation is the loan servicing agent for the WAPLR loans. To contact them directly please call:
1-877-322-5446 or 307-772-9019 and ask them to assist you.