During the 2013 legislative session Wyoming Statute 21-7-701 was created, the legislation established the Wyoming Adjunct Professor Loan Repayment (WAPLR) program. The program is designed to financially assist public school teachers in attaining necessary qualifications to become qualified to teach specific college level concurrent enrollment courses. To repay the loan the teacher agrees to teach the concurrent enrollment courses in a Wyoming school district for a two year period after becoming fully qualified.
- Be a Wyoming resident as defined in W.S.22-1-102.
- Be employed by a Wyoming school district as a teacher defined by W.S. 21-7-102.
- Be certified by and in good standing with the professional teaching standards board, as required by W.S. 21-7-303.
- Be nominated by the employing Wyoming school district.
During the 2013 legislative session Wyoming Statute 21-7-701 was created, the legislation established the Wyoming Adjunct Professor Loan Repayment (WAPLR) Program. The program was initially funded for the second half of the 2013 bieneium with $100,000 and eight applicants were funded.
The legislature reauthorized the program in 2014 and there was $160,000 to fund this program for the 2015 biennium. Applications were accepted in September 2014 and we obligated out approximately $90,000. Because there were remaining funds a second round of applications will be accepted in September 2015 for the remaining $70,000. We will notify applicants if they are approved by November 30, 2015.
There is no set dollar amount allocated to each applicant. The entire cost of the coursework needed to become fully qualified will be covered if their application is approved.
- Applicant should start by contacting his/her employing school district to determine if they will be nominated for this program.
- The applicant should also be in contact with the Wyoming community college that has agreed to issue credit for the concurrent courses that will be taught after the applicant becomes fully qualified.
- Once the applicant has been notified that they are approved for funding they will need to contact Align® to ensure that all the proper paperwork has been completed to receive his/her funds.
A recipient of a WAPLR loan may repay the loan without cash payment by teaching concurrent enrollment courses in their school district for two years after becoming fully qualified. There are specific timelines for repayment to be met. For specifics on the tracking and updating of loan payback we ask that applicants contact Align®.
Align® Corporation is the loan servicing agent for the WAPLR loans. To contact them directly please contact the following:
1-800-999-6541 or 307-638-0800 and ask for the following to assist you.
Deana Diggs at extension 9019